Who Am I?

A little over a month ago, my sweetheart and I decided to give ancestry.com a try. We spit in the little vial, sealed it up and sent it back in the mail. While we waited for our results, we had fun getting started on our family trees.

We were updated each step of the way, from the receipt of our samples, to the extraction of the DNA to the analysis. We were given an estimated completion date of October 14th, but to our delight, the results were ready last weekend!

My ancestry.com results.

In addition, we were given a list of “matches”, other AncestryDNA@ members who share our DNA. We are able to see common ancestors for those who match our DNA.

I was delighted to find that I have such a large percentage of Irish genes and even a bit of Scottish DNA. After visiting both countries with Aurora this summer, I am happy to claim a bit of kinship with the people of these beautiful places.

In addition to finding this abundance of ancestors, we also purchased Traits which suggests how we may be predisposed to like or dislike sweets, have a certain type of hair or eye color and many other things. Environment can play a part as well, so not all are accurate, but it is definitely interesting. My DNA suggests that I may drink more caffeine than average (πŸ‘), have attached earlobes(πŸ‘), be an introvert(πŸ‘) and may be a morning person (πŸ‘Ž). Oh well, 3 out of 4 isn’t bad. πŸ˜‰

Every man is a quotation from all his ancestors.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am eager to find the connection in my family tree to the many matches that are identified. Many I know already, or at least recognize the names. It is wonderful to find so many branches on the tree.

If you are curious and would like to try it,, Ancestry has provided a link that rewards you with 40% off and rewards me with$10.00 Win-Win!πŸ˜‰

About Beth W.

I try to look for the positive in the people and situations I come in contact with! I believe in the power of positive thinking and I believe that even challenging circumstances can be learning experiences if we have a positive mindset! I'm having fun blogging at: http://picturingpositive.com
This entry was posted in Ancestry, DNA, Relatives and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Who Am I?

1. I have wanted to do this for sometime and just have never had the chance. I think it would be very cool to do.

• Beth W. says:

I have been really enjoying seeing the photos and records from my ancestors including census reports, draft cards and old photos posted by other relatives. There is a subscription to view records, but I found a labor day special to get it for half price. πŸ˜‰ I’d be willing to bet there will be holiday specials coming up or you might be able to find a coupon code. 😊 It’s also fun to see how many third and fourth cousins are out there! It’s kind of like playing detective to find how we are connected. πŸ˜‰ Thanks so much for reading .I hope you have an amazing day! 😊

• Beth W. says:

It is definitely pretty cool! It can be a bit of a rabbit hole once you start connecting all the relatives to the tree. πŸ˜‰ Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Have a wonderful day! 😊

2. kagould17 says:

Hi Beth. Glad you are finding your roots. I have heard that these types of DNA records may be used for other things (medical, insurance, policing), so have resisted doing the test. Luckily enough, I know my main heritage is English/Scottish and have also connected with relatives when we visited. Knowing where you come from is a good thing. Happy Wednesday. Allan

• Beth W. says:

Hi Allan! I totally understand the hesitency. That is what kept me from doing it for a long time. I finally decided that I’m being monitered by my phone, anyway since ads pop up on my email when all I have done is mention something in casual conversation. πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«. Hopefully curiousity doesn’t kill this cat. πŸ˜‰ I’m hoping that I can connect with a few more relatives because of this. 😊 Happy Wednesday to you too!

• Beth W. says:

It really is fun finding out how big of a family I actually have. πŸ˜‰ I’m sure going back far enough, we are all probably connected somehow. 😊

• I know as far back as my great grandparents on both sides and where they are from. They both had LARGE families. It was neat how my mothers parents both moved here from Oklahoma and were fairly close there. They didn’t meet until they came here.

• Beth W. says:

That is so cool. There were many very large families in my tree as well. I think it was quite common in farming families. I know my Dad had chores on the farm at a fairly early age. Dad’s family had 8 kids and most of the relatives in the tree in the early 1900s had families just as large. Life was definitely challenging back then, but I do think being part of a large, loving family would have been fun. 😊

• I think my grandpa’s family had 14 kids… My dad’s brother had 10 kids. They grew up on a farm and all had chores. We have a book where the kids wrote about their experiences that was quite interesting. Even though it was hard for them, their stories were humorous. They had a well behind the house, and they told how many buckets of water it took for baths, laundry, etc. How many chickens they had to butcher for their meals, and one funny story about cleaning out the outhouse. It still makes me laugh thinking about it…

• Beth W. says:

How wonderful! Having the stories to read is so nice. Good for whoever in your family had the foresight to do that. 😊

3. Gnubbels says:

really nice πŸ™‚

• Beth W. says:

Thank you! πŸ™‚ We are enjoying finding our ancestors and filling in our family tree. Thanks so much for the nice comment. Have a wonderful day. πŸ™‚

What do you think? Thanks for visiting! Have a positive, productive day!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s